From Bullshitter's Guide
Revision as of 19:32, 31 August 2017 by Votemike (talk | contribs) (Added Divorce Bill section)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

On June 23rd 2016, a referendum was held as to whether the UK should remain in The EU or leave it. People were happy about the referendum being held as they think they like democracy. However 51.9% of the voters chose to leave which lead to the other 48.1% to immediately call for a 2nd referendum and to hate democracy.
As a result of the leave outcome, serving Prime Minister David Cameron said he would step down from the position.
On January 24th 2017, the Supreme Court rules that Parliament must vote on the terms of Brexit.[1]
Localised voting data showed that education had the largest affect on which way people voted. Figure show that areas with more educated voters voted to remain while ares with less educated populations voted to leave.[2]
On March 29th 2017, Article 50 was triggered when Britain's ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, hand-delivered a six page letter from Theresa May to EU Council President Donald Tusk in Brussels.[3]

Article 50[edit]

Article 50 gives any EU member the right to leave The EU and outlines the process for doing so. It gives the leaving country 2 years to negotiate an exit deal.[4]

Hard vs Soft Brexit[edit]

At the moment the UK has agreements with the EU surrounding things such as trade and the free movement of people. A hard brexit means that the UK will not keep up any of the downsides of EU membership such as accepting as many EU migrants as want to come, or paying in to a central EU fund. A soft brexit means that the UK will be willing to keep some of the downsides of the relationship in order to keep the upsides such as trade deals.[5]

Divorce Bill[edit]

While part of the EU, the UK committed money to EU projects in the coming years such as infrastructure projects and funding for developing countries. The "Divorce Bill" is the amount of money the UK will have to pay the EU as part of these previous promised amounts.[6]


  1. Brexit: Supreme Court says Parliament must give Article 50 go-ahead
  2. Local voting figures shed new light on EU referendum
  3. Brexit: Theresa May triggers Article 50 process of leaving EU
  4. What is Article 50? The only explanation you need to read
  5. What Is The Difference Between A Hard And Soft Brexit?
  6. Brexit divorce bill: what is it and how does it affect talks?

External links[edit]